News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Capturing Lots of Singles

Started by typecrazy789, October 23, 2019, 04:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

typecrazy789

First of all, I love VinylStudio for LPs - it's a phenomenal product and it's really changing the way I listen to and experience my collection.

That said, I have many, many 45s and so far I've not come up with an approach that really works with the way I'd like to deal with them, which is occasionally and a few at a time. I don't want a separate album title/entry in my server for every single, but would rather just have one album called "Singles" or whatever and then add to that as I decide to dub a few here and there.

Is there a way to accomplish this with some ease? Every way I look at it seems problematic, as it seems that if I try to add a few tracks onto the end of a prior compilation I'd have to generate the entire "album" again to get all the track numbers correct.

What do you all do for singles? I have read the instructions but just wondering if there's a way to have one big singles archive and add to it piecemeal.

Thanks!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

The best I can think of is to create an album for each single with the artist set to 'Singles' and the title set to whatever suits you best.  Then, they will all wind up in a folder called 'Singles', as desired.

tbdrivervinyl

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the awesome VinyStudio software but, have you considered creating a new collection named "Singles" ?

Hi,

You can create a collection by that name yourself, if that's what you want.  Just do Menu -> File -> New Collection.

typecrazy789

I'll try it both ways and experiment. I think the big thing for me is I'd like to just add consecutive track numbers but not have to keep a single file that builds up to 400 selections or whatever, so I'm not entirely sure how to make that work.

Essentially, if I record 10 singles in an evening, then they'd get tagged onto the end of a prior recorded series, but with the track numbers following how they were captured.

Consecutive track numbers will be hard to achieve.  VinylStudio restarts at 1 for each 'album'.  Also, there is a limit of 100 album sides per album.

It's worth noting that VinylStudio supports different naming schemes / folder structures for albums and singles, as configured in the Settings / Preferences dialog.  I'd recommend taking a look at that.  You can change the 'This is a single' status for any particular album in the Edit Album Details dialog.  You can also set it at time of recording.

GaryG

Sorry about the problem with my first reply.  The system didn't like the single quote, but I wasn't using an iPhone.  Below is the original reply without single quotes.

I am thinking about ripping my 45s/singles too.  Because my music players use metadata/tags to display the artist, album, genre, etc. the metadata is of primary importance to me.  The location of the files will be in my music library folder structure.  Mp3tag will be used to add/modify the metadata, as it was done for my albums.

One option I want to test is to use the song title for the album title and track name tags, artist for the artist tag, and use "Singles" for the albumartist tag.  I do not know if I will use track numbers.  Also, I want to test using "Singles" for the album tab, the song title for the track name, and the artist for the artist tag.  I will rip 10-15 singles and determine if either of these options will work well for me.

I use a folder structure of artist/album with separate folders for Compilation, Musical, and Soundtrack albums.  I believe putting all of the singles files in a Singles folder will work, although I may add artist folders as subfolders in the Singles folder for separation.

Hi,

You do know that you can use separate track naming schemes for albums and singles?  You can set this up in the Preferences / Settings dialog.