News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Import/export of Apple Lossless files

Started by drystream, November 10, 2010, 01:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drystream

I have a number of albums that were recorded to disc and then imported into iTunes.  The songs were originally in AIFF format, and then were imported and saved within iTunes as Apple Lossless files.  I inserted track breaks while recording them, but no further processing was done, such as de-clicking or equalizing.  I no longer have the AIFF files.

In simplest terms, can I import one song in Apple Lossless format into VS, de-click it, and save it back out as Apple Lossless and expect the same quality as the original song?  Or is anything lost in the import/export process of songs in that format?

Steve

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Yes, that should work.  Apple Lossless is indeed lossless.

It's a shame you split the recordings into tracks outside VS.  That will make the work a lot more tedious.  You might try splicing the files together with Audacity 1.3.3 Beta (or later) which can apparently import Apple Lossless files.  I don't think it can save in Apple Lossless format but that doesn't matter.  I would save as FLAC.  VinylStudio can ultimately save your tracks in Apple Lossless format whatever file format you import, and as long as you use lossless formats throughout you won't lose any sound quality.