Author Topic: Multiple genre and artist tags  (Read 561 times)

Steve Crook

• Contributor
Multiple genre and artist tags
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:03:42 pm »
I'm in the habit of using multiple tag values for track artist,genre and composer. I enter them separated by "; ".

For example, generated FLAC files have a single GENRE tag field with "; " separated values. I'm using MinimServer, which has chosen not to deal with all the different separator variations, but to rely on each genre tag being in its own field. So the tagging is pretty much useless.

Does VS have a specific separator for that ensures multiple tag values end up in separate tag fields? If not, could you consider this as an enhancement?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

• Administrator
  • Staff
    • AlpineSoft Main Website
Re: Multiple genre and artist tags
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:28:16 pm »
Hi,

No it doesn't, and I've not heard of putting multiple tags in files before.  We'll look into it.

GaryG

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 09:21:59 pm »
Paul,
I just noticed this post.  DISCOGS will have multiple genre values for many albums.  I used a Mp3tag DISCOGS script to tag the majority of the albums I ripped using Vinyl Studio, and it handled the multiple genres without any problems.  However, the problem is that most players ignore multiple tag values.  Sonos and Bose ignore them, but Foobar2000 and JRiver support them.

Gary

Steve Crook

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 10:58:34 am »
It's made more complicated because there's also no agreement on the appropriate separator character. Semi colon+space, comma+space, forward slash and even double backslash have all been used. Some, dbPowerAmp for example, will take semi colon separators, but write separate tag fields others just write a single field with the separators. Some apps just read the first field separators and all, others will parse the separators and treat them as individual fields.

It's a complete mess.

I'd like VS to take the separated string and write separate tag fields. I don't mind what the separator is, though I'd prefer ;+space because I've already been using in my VS recordings :-)