News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Moving Albums to a Different Collection

Started by dweinberg, April 09, 2019, 12:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweinberg

I have successfully moved my collection from my Mac to my NAS. I do this from time to time so my album rips don't slow down my aging Mac's performance (too much).

After the last few bulk transfers, one CD remains on my Mac and it is not duplicated on my NAS. How do I resolve this?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Is there an album in your original recording corresponding to those files?  If so, you should be able to move it across like you did the others.

dweinberg

I just tried it again. The album is on my Mac, but there is no album on the target drive on my NAS.

Post move, you'll see my Mac on the left and my NAS on the right. "Big_Brother_&_The_Holding_Company_Featuring_Janis_Joplin~Big_Brother_&_The_Holding_Company~side1" and side2 are on the Mac but not on my NAS. On the NAS you'll see highlighted Bad Company and a different Big Brother album.

So how do I move it over so the holdout album is integrated with the Vinyl Studio files (I already moved the converted file which is stored in a different folder)?

Hi,

Are you not splitting your recordings into tracks?  All your screenshots show the original, 'raw' recorded album sides.

dweinberg

Yes. I split the tracks and then save. After that, the saved tracks are in a folder under the artist’s name. Within that folder are album-level folders and thereunder the individual audio tracks. The top example in the attached is from my Mac. In this view are the in-process and completed (but pre-moved) albums. From time to time, I will batch move all the raw tracks from my Mac to the NAS. That is the bottom image. The raw tracks are saved in the VinylStudio - NEW folder. My finished audio tracks are saved under the music folder to the left.

For some reason, Big Brother and the Holding Company did not move during the batch process from my Mac (top) to my NAS (bottom). Upon closer examination, I think I see a possible reason- the top image was first identified by Discogs as “Big Brother And The Holding Company Featuring Janis Joplin”. I later removed “Featuring Janis Joplin” but that still appears in the NAS view of the raw tracks (the second attachment). Perhaps I need to bring back the NAS version and edit the artists’ name to allow Big Brother And The Holding Company to move from my Mac to the NAS. Alternately, could I just drag and drop if my approach is unsuccessful?

Hi,

What I don't understand is that you are still sending me screenshots of the 'raw' recorded album sides, and not your split-up tracks.  There is a topic in the VinylStudio Help file entitled 'Where are my files located' under 'Importing and Exporting files' that you might like to read.  You can open a FInder window positioned to your split-up tracks from the Preferences dialog.

dweinberg

Here is the drill down to the tracks. After ripping, I declick (with a different app), add album art, convert to FLAC. and drag and drop the album of split tracks to my NAS under BouvierWeinberg/music as illustrated in my previous post. Within music, the albums are arranged by artist and album thereunder.

Does that help?

Hi,

You are still showing me 'raw' recorded album sides.  You can locate your split up tracks as follows:

1.  Open VinylStudio's Preferences dialog.

2.  Click of the lower of the two 'Show in Finder' buttons.

Does that help?

dweinberg

I did so, and the image is attached.

I also did another batch move from my Mac to my NAS. The screenshot is the result after that move. Big Brother is still present on the Mac. All other raw files were moved to the NAS.

Sorry, but I am still confused.  an you please clarify whether you want to copy your raw recordings to your NAS or your split-up tracks.  Then we should make some progress with this.

dweinberg

Sorry from me too. I don't think I was clear as to my objective. Here is to making it clearer  ;)

I am seeking to move the raw recordings to my NAS. I drag and drop the split tracks with the associated metadata to my NAS, but in a different directory. I want the raw recordings preserved if I ever need to do further editing or cleanup. That process has largely worked well once I got the process hammered out. Once I'm done with this project (in a few years- I'm up to Jimmy Cliff as of this morning), I may off-load the raw recordings to preserve space, but that is much latter.

The issue here is with two albums from Big Brother and the Holding Company. The first is "How Hard It Is". I moved that (raw) album back to my Mac. The only other album is the orphaned "Big Brother and the Holding Company Featuring Janis Joplin". I say "orphaned" as the raw recording of "Featuring Janis Joplin" is on my Mac and can't be moved to the NAS. When I select batch move and select all raw recordings, it is not there to be selected. I do, however, have the split out tracks from "Featuring Janis Joplin" in the appropriate folder on my NAS.

The one change I made (which could be the cause) is that I relabeled the album eliminating the "Featuring Janis Joplin" and leaving the album as "Big Brother and the Holding Company" as that is the way it is found on most of the record databases.

So even with both albums in the same folder on the Mac, "Big Brother and the Holding Company Featuring Janis Joplin" fails to be listed when I tap the drop-down in green next to the gear. Just "How Hard It Is" is the only album listed.

I hope I've done a better job explaining my situation. Back to you, and thanks.

Thank you, that clarifies things a lot.

Presumably, you now have a collection on your NAS containing the albums moved across.  On that assumption, does "Featuring Janis Joplin" appear in that collection?

dweinberg

Everything is on my NAS (except for the Clash that I'm ripping now).  "Featuring Janis Joplin" is not on my NAS.

OK, thanks.  What I would do then is to create that album on your main machine and then import those two files.  You can then move the album across to your NAS as you did the others.

dweinberg

I just tried moving another large batch from the Mac to the NAS. All went well except for Big Brother (which never appeared to be an option for moving). Post move shows that there are no albums remaining to be moved as displayed in "Your collection is currently empty".  But when I navigate back to Finder on the Mac, the suspect files are still there ("How hard it is") and there are other files under vsfiles.

So I can't move Big Brother using the batch function? Can I drag and drop? If not, I should just delete and consider the raw files as lost. I do have the ripped files with metadata already on my NAS.