News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

VS Crashing

Started by dweinberg, November 20, 2018, 11:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweinberg

I am in the midst of digitizing ~600 records. I've done around 50 so far without any issues. Beginning the other day (after downloading the updated version of VS), VS on my aging Macbook Pro freezes up forcing me to either abort or reboot.

Any speculation on what may be happening and how to correct it?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

What are you doing when it freezes please?

dweinberg

I am ripping a record when it VS freezes. I was surprised that I was able to run a few applications on my Mac while running VS. I then aborted all apps except for VS and then it would freeze (on side two, not side one of an album rip). Then I would reboot the Mac to clear out any open applications. I was able to complete the rip, but that was the first time that VS froze up on me (and then it happened again). I'm cautiously optimistic that this may be behind me as I was able to complete another album.

OK, thanks for the update.

If it happens again, please capture a diagnostic log as follows;

1.  From the Finder, select Menu -> Go -> Utilities.

2.  Launch Activity Monitor

3.  Select VinylStudio in the list of running programs.

4.  Click on the gear wheel icon in the Activity Monitor toolbar and select 'Sample Process'.

5.  When sampling is complete, click 'Save' to save the results to a file and send it to me:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

I will then take a look.

dweinberg

Thanks,

The crashing happens way too often. I close out all other applications and reboot. Sometimes VS records the album. Other times (~30%) it does not. I will send the sample report to you shortly.

Hi,

Thanks for the report.  I will reply by email - it looks like some kind of hard disk (or maybe anti-virus) issue.

WBCarson

Same issue. I got half a record to record once, than it failed. 
I sent a note to Tech Support with the following info:

Created new album but had not recorded a side yet. When attempting to open i get this error
Cannot open file:

C:\Users\Will\Documents\Recordings\My Albums\New_Philharmonia_Orchestra~Rachmaninoff-_Complete_Piano_Concertos_Paganini_Rhapsody~side1.flac

error 32 (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

You can remove this file via the list of recordings in the Cleanup Audio window or select Check for Changes from the Album menu at any time.

Removing recording from Cleanup Window gives me the same error

I tried to delete the whole Album.  Get this error:

Cannot delete file:

C:\Users\Will\Documents\Recordings\My Albums\New_Philharmonia_Orchestra~Rachmaninoff-_Complete_Piano_Concertos_Paganini_Rhapsody~side1.flac

error 32 (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process)

Closed Studio, went into File Explorer to delete.
Get this error.
"File in use by VinylStudio" Go into Processes and VinylStudio isnt even running.

Finally, dont know how, was able to delete.  Created new album with slightly different naming convention.

Same errors when opening.

I was using the previous version fine for 2 years. Literally as soon as i upgraded the problems started
I want to go back to the previous version.  Where can i find it?

Using windows 10.

Hi,

Yes, we got your email and I have replied privately.