News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording on one computer, transferring to iTunes on another

Started by anderson, February 10, 2019, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson

Hi, I am recording LPs on one computer (a MacBook Pro running Mohave), one that does not belong to me so I unchecked the "save to iTunes" box. I clean up the audio and export the tracks. I am then using a USB drive to transfer the files over to my own computer (iMac, also running Mojave). Once copied, I drag them (AIFF files) into iTunes, but each album appears as "unknown Album, Unknown Artist, and the art work doesn't appear. I have Vinyl Studios Pro V10.0.02 Mac 64 Bit. Suggestions?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Are you sure you're transferring your saved, split-up tracks and not the original, 'raw' recordings?

anderson

Hmm. I was dragging the original files, but I just tried it with the album~side2.aiff.crd and those don't go across either, at least not by dragging and dropping.

Hi,

You should be dragging your saved, split-up tracks, if I understand your intentions correctly.

djeho

I'm having a weird problem which is somewhat similar to the OP.  Workflow:

Surface Book #1:  Vinyl Studio => FLAC (local hard disk), Saved Tracks moved to a NAS drive.
Surface Book #1:  JRiver Media Center FLAC (pointing to NAS) => MP3 conversion (saved to USB hard drive).
Unplug USB hard drive.
Surface Book #2:  The USB hard drive is the iTunes library.  Boot up iTunes, plug in iPhone.  Add new folders to iTunes music library.  Drag files to iPhone to force sync (iTunes is set up to do a manual sync).

This is highly similar to the workflow for CD rips except it doesn't involve Vinyl Studio obviously. 

When I look at the song files in iTunes on Surface Book #2, everything looks fine.  If I open explorer in Windows, the metadata looks fine.  If I look at the tracks in the Music app on the iPhone, the album art is correct, the album title is correct but when I click on the album, the track listings all say "Vinyl" for the title and the album says "Vinyl by Unknown".  This is clearly some artifact of VS (the CD workflow does not have this problem).  Even more weird, when I start playing an individual track, the title, album artist, etc. is correct! I can provide shots of the phone in case this helps.

Why is this happening and what am I doing wrong?  I'm trying to get tracks to my phone for a long road trip and am at a dead stand still on the phone ingestion side of things.  Thanks for the help.

djeho

Saving tracks as MP3 does work correctly but this is not my preferred workflow (it's a bit confusing saving tracks as FLAC and MP3 and having to switch back and forth, I'm liable to screw this up on the journey of ripping >1000 albums).  Any idea why the metadata looks correct all the way through the (flawed) workflow and then shows up on the iPhone all busted? 

Hi,

Unchecking 'Include grouping tag in save tracks' in VinylStudio's Settings / Preferences dialog will fix this.

Then save your tracks again.

djeho

Sorry for the tardy reply.  I had seen this option discussed prior to posting.  I had that unchecked but it still did this.  I gave up trying to figure this out and just double save, once to FLAC and once to MP3, moving the files to the appropriate place after each save (FLAC to NAS drive and MP3's to folder that iTunes sees).  It's a reasonable workflow. 

This whole process is causing me to listen to some memorable music I haven't heard in a long, long time.  Quite wonderful.  The 24/96 FLAC files sound gorgeous played back via high end DAC. 

OK, but you don't need to move the tracks around manually.  There's a [File Type] keyword that you can use as a folder name component in the 'When saving tracks, name them as' field in the Settings / Preferences dialog.