News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

help with new turntable

Started by sep, October 10, 2010, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sep

Hi again. I just bought a AT-LP120-USB direct-drive professional usb and analog turntable. It comes with a ATP-2 headshell/cartridge. I have a few questions that i hope someone can help me with.

i have never set up a turntable where i needed to balance the tone arm, change the pitch, etc. I followed the instructions and it seems to be playing fine, i just wish i could see a video to be sure I'm doing it correctly. Anyone have any suggestions?

Second, I've connected it to my computer via USB. (I also tried the RCA to Line In, but the sound was distorted or, as i kept playing with the settings, i could hear no real change, so i went back to USB.) I wanted to compare a previously recorded song using my old turntable (which quit working) to the new turntable, a significant upgrade. I played the album "live" and then played the previously recorded song (with no clean-up applied). The volume on the digital/VinylStudio version was MUCH louder than the vinyl album. And i can't really seem to hear the detail that i hear on the digital recording. It also sounds a bit "tinny" and high-pitched. (I'm comparing Penny Lane/Beatles)

Third, should I improve the cartridge?

Is this all normal?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

There's a video on balancing your tone arm here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsCWMh9nwY

Google will turn up many more.

I wouldn't worry that the digital version is louder unless VinylStudio reports that it is clipping.  I can't really comment on the sound quality but if you are playing it back through the sound card in your PC that might be influencing things.  Try burning a CD to see how that sounds.

If you have further turntable-related questions you might try a site called VinylEngine (http://www.vinylengine.com).  I myself am more of a programmer than a vinyl buff.

sep