News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Input only seems to be coming from one channel

Started by ChrisJager, July 31, 2010, 10:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisJager

I have a laptop running Vista and have connected a USB turntable to it.  When I am in Record mode and Check Level, left and right indicators are moving identically, which suggests that it is only picking up one channel.  I have been able to fix this in the past, but recently had to restore my Windows default settings and the problem has returned.  I can't remember what I did before to fix it. 

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

VinylStudio should detect this condition and advise you of the steps you need to take to fix it, but just in case:

1.  Right-click on the loudspeaker icon in the system tray (bottom-right hand corner of the screen).

2.  Select Sounds.

3.  Click on the Recording tab.

4.  Select the input device: USB Audio CODEC (or USB Audio Device)

5.  Click Properties.

6.  Click on the Advanced tab.

7.  Change the default recording format to: 2 channels, 16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality).

8.  Click OK, and then again to close the Sound applet.

You should only need to do this once (unless you plug your turntable into a different USB port).

ChrisJager

ChrisJager

I suspect that the problem was caused by the fact that I have two USB ports in the back of my laptop, and if I used the wrong one it assumed it was a new device and did not remember my settings.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Yes, that's probably right.  Windows has a separate set of settings for each 'device', and, essentially, treats the two USB ports as separate devices.  Eventually, if you keep plugging your turntable into different USB ports, they will all get set up correctly and you won't have to change anything after that.