News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording from Turntable with e-mu 1212m

Started by felldownawell, July 21, 2010, 01:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felldownawell

Hello,

This is likely a ridiculously easy question, but I'm a total beginner with Patchmix, etc., so thanks.

I'm attempting to record from vinyl to FLAC using VinylStudio at 96/24. Everything sounds great during recording, but I get constant stuttering when I play that recording.

I've set the recording options to 96/24 in VinylStudio, and I've loaded the default 96k Patchmix session. The only adjustment I've made to that session is to set the Aux send to -15 to avoid clipping.

I've used both the Vista drivers that came with the card and the Win 7 beta drivers that were released with the same results.

I'm guessing this is just a dumb Patchmix beginner error, but here's my setup:

Win 7 64-bit
Intel i7 860 (2.80 GHz)
8GB RAM

E-mu 1212m PCIe
Patchmix 2.20
driver version 6.00.01.1246

VinylStudio 7.5.1

Technics SL-1200 MK2
Shure M97XE cartridge
Cambrige 540P Preamp

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Could you send me a sound sample please?  Please record about 10 seconds-worth of audio and email me the file.  Send it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

You will find the file in:

My Documents
        Recordings
            <name of your collection>

As a check, I just recorded to 96/24 FLAC and all is well.  I don't know anything about the Patchmix so I can't help you there but you could try making a recording via the internal sound card of your PC to see if that works.  This would help narrow down the cause of the problem.

There's some info about setting up the Patchmix here:

http://board.rapmusic.com/audio-help-tips/939104-how-set-up-patchmix-emu-soundcards.html

VinylStudio uses WDM drivers, rather than ASIO.

felldownawell

Thanks for your offer to help.  Indeed it ended up being me doing something dumb.  I had monitor recording checked in VinylStudio, so Patchmix sent the playback through the recording as well.  Unchecked it and everything sounds wonderful.

felldownawell

Absolutely fantastic application, by the way.  It's unbelievable how easy it makes the whole process.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Excellent, thanks for the update and glad you like the software.

You might be able to configure the Patchmix to not record from Wave out.  That would prevent, for example, a beep generated by another program from getting recorded.  Then you would want to re-enable VinylStudio's monitoring function of course.