News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Normalise Question..and maybe feature request

Started by NeilP, April 26, 2010, 04:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilP

I was just wondering about the normalise function, and what it does to levels between left/right channels

Will it even up un-even recordings on the left/right channel levels.  

I recorded an album in VS and then looked at it in Audacity, and used the Waveform Stats menu.  It showed peak levels of left channel -1.3db and right channel of 0.9db.

When I use Audacity, I select each channel seperately and amplify up to -0.1db per channel, before cleaning up and splitting.

Will VS normalise level up the channels? or just the recording as a whole?

PS..I can adjust my line input manually when I record as the sound comes into the Mac via a Claymore Inca Tec amp as the pre amp stage and tape out, through a Tascam 112 tape deck to adjust levels......but often the levels are slightly out...

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

No VinylStudio just normalises the recording as a whole.  There's a strong argument for not changing the balance of the original recording but you are the second person to raise this issue so we will review it when we have time.

You should be able to adjust the recording level, yes.  Just move the slider.  Doing it in the Check Level dialog before you start recording for real is the best way, although I personally found it easier to leave it in the same position for all my recordings, once I had got it right.  We also plan to normalise in steps of 1dB rather than 3dB.  3dB is rather coarse.

NeilP

Ok, thanks Paul

I have not bought yet, but will probably do so in the next week or so. 

Thanks

Neil