News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Normalisation

Started by dantoon, April 02, 2010, 05:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dantoon

First of all: It's great that a Normalisation-Tool is finally implemented in VinylStudio!

Although I'm not sure if I sould use it and I have a couple of questions about it:

1) Is there any difference between Normalisation and changing the Preamp Setting? (Btw: it's also a great improvement that you can change the preamp level in 1db steps in the new version!)

2) If there are clips in the *.wav File do the Normalisation "repair" them (e.g. before saving the LP as MP3)?

3) What doeas the "0db Normalisation"? 0db soubds for me like changing nothing - and if it does something, than why should I choose -3db (as it is recommended) - by doing so I loose 3db of dynamic range.

4) Finally: What is the Reset Button for? Can I reset by this the Normalisation process?

I will appriciate any fruitful comments that help me understand how the Normalisation Tool works and if I should make use of it in future (or maybe even batch all the recordings been made in the past)!

Thanks and cheers, Diego

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in replying to this.  I seem to have missed your post.

1.  More or less.  The normalisation process just ajusts the preamp setting, but it works out what to set it to by analysing the entire recording.  This may or may not be the same value as you would have chosen 'by ear', but it's likely to be more accurate.

2.  No.  If a recording is clipped, the information 'above' the clipped peaks is lost.  We have considered some kind of 'clip repair' filter but it's not a high priority and in any case it could never be perfect.

3.  Normalising to 0dB adjusts the preamp slider such that the largest peaks in the recording take up 100% of the available amplitude.  In other words, the highest peaks should just / not quite clip.  This is typical of commercial CDs but might introduce slight clipping (almosty certainly inaudible) as we try to ignore occasional, sparsely located transients to get a better overall level.  I think -3dB is more common amongst audiophiles for this reason, but I'm not sure if I can defend it as the recommended option in fact.  It does, as you say, cost you a bit of dynamic range.

4.  Reset resets all the graphic equaliser settings (to 'flat').  Arguably (now) it should leave the preamp slider alone.  We might change that.

Thanks for your feedback.

dantoon

Thank you a lot for your reply! I think I know now what to do - I will try the next couple of times the 0 db Normalisation. If the Sound is to 'thick' or 'pressing' I will go down to -3db. Anyway, it's really a great improvement!

Cheers, Diego

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

OK, best of luck.  I think we might offer normalisation in 1dB steps in the next version.  Nobody want to go below -6 so offering those options is rather pointless.

dantoon

Yes, this is a great idea! I recorded 4 LPs and normalises them with 0db; the results are very good so far! But, in fact, i would probably choose -1db if possible.

Thanks, Diego