News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Silence at start and end of recordings

Started by gaz1966, March 22, 2010, 07:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaz1966

Hello,

I am really pleased with this software, but would like to know how to produce a few seconds of
silence between tracks, because all I hear is surface noise from the record between each track?
It would be great to have silence like on a CD. Do you have to do a sudden fade at the start/end of each track so it
sounds like a CD does?

I hope this makes sense?

Thank you

Gaz.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Are you burnung CDs?  The easiest way to do get the effect that you want is to eliminate the gap between tracks by shift-dragging the green start-of-track markers past the gaps.  Then, when you burn the CD, VinylStudio will insert 2 seconds of silence for you (as commercial CDs do).  If you want a bit of fade-in and fade-out, you can add a fader at each trackbreak by clicking on the trackbreak and then on the 'add fader' button in the toolbar beneath the waveform display.  Then zoom in and drag the fader blobs to suit.

dw4

I would also like to be able to add a variable amount of silence at the end and beginning of each track. I don't like being limited to only 2 seconds of silence between tracks on a CD, and besides, most of my listening is in iTunes or Windows Media Player, not on CD. So I want to have a few more seconds of silence as part of the track. If I can't do this, no sale. I haven't figured out yet how to accomplish the same thing, if possible, with the available tools. And the answer given above is inadequate. Maybe the program is too. Nor is the subject addressed in another thread with a similar title. Check out FinalVinyl for a simple implementation of this feature. dw4

You can add a bit of silence by positioning the track markers appropriately.  You can set the gap between tracks on CD to upto 3 seconds (in addition to this).

dw4

Sorry, I don't get how to do this. If I rip a record and there is 3 seconds between tracks and I want to split the tracks and get 4 seconds of silence at the end of the first track and 4 seconds of silence at the start of the next track, when the tracks are saved for import into iTunes or Windows Media Player (not burning CDs here, as I said in my earlier post), how can positioning track markers accomplish this? In FinalVinyl, I position a track marker, insert silence of 5 seconds, reposition the marker to the new middle of the silence, and there is now 4 seconds of silence on each side of the marker. Done with 2 mouse clicks. With 2 more clicks before those I could have selected and deleted the space between the tracks (since it may be noisy even after cleaning) then added 8 seconds of silence and marked the split. Done in 4 clicks. Seems like an obvious capability to include in audio editing software. But I haven't yet gotten my head around the different approach that VinylStudio takes. So, can this be done, or is the capability lacking?

Thanks for the reply.
dw4comp

Hi,

As things currently stand, you can't add more silence than exists between the tracks.  We will look into improving this.

SimonB1964

Give Paul a break, he works bloody hard on this software. I am re learning after using Spin it again for the past few months, as I now have an Imac, and this software was compatible so after haggling a little, i purchased this. As I said, I am trying to learn this and am having some problems of my own, the track splitting isn't the best from what i have seen so far, but that maybe just me. SIA was vey easy to sort out the start and end of each track, it only took 2 clicks . Either way, stop slagging the guy, he is on this forum every bloody day from what i have seen.

No, it's OK.  Feedback is always welcome.

SDWitness

Just wanted to add my vote for the ability to add silence, preferably anywhere in the recording and, preferably, for any period up to, say, 30 seconds.  I also use iTunes and my iPod, so the two seconds of silence added to CD tracks doesn't help.  My only workaround as it is is to export the recording as, say, an AIFF file, import it into Audacity, add the silence, export from Audacity, then re-import into VinylStudio.  All of that importing/exporting can't be good for maintaining the recording's detail, so being able to do it all in VinylStudio would not only save a great deal of time but maintain the recording's fidelity as well.