News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

error 161

Started by clearway, March 04, 2010, 11:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clearway

i found out the reason i wasn't getting the results i wanted was because i was using crappy software. i am trying this out but i cannot get past the New Collection selection. i keep getting
Cannot create folder \\ZOD2025, error 161 (The specified path is invalid.)
this is my media server. i have managed to do this on another evaluation program. i like the extra features, and the price but need to save to the media server. it is a Microsoft Home Server

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Try mapping a drive letter to your home server (drive X:, say).  Then you should be able to create your collection on drive X: (or a subfolder thereof).  To map a drive letter, right-click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive.

We will look into making this work as it should.

What was the crappy software?

clearway

it came with the turntable, ezvinyl and audacity and i hate apple. i seem to have another problem. it seems my server does not show up on my network, i must get back to the drawing board but tomorrow, tonight i rest. i have tried the spin it again software and it apeared to save it on the server. i will look a bit deeper, i haven't delved too deep into the server, i may have done some messing around last night. thanks for the quick reply, i will let you know if i can pinpoint the problem, either your software or my messing.

Yes, EZVinyl is not up to much and Audacity, although a useful general-purpose audio editor, is not well suited to digitising analog recordings.  Spin it Again is a decent product but VinylStudio has better track-splitting functions and is more powerful, especially the audio cleanup tools.

You might find your server under:

My Network Places
       Entire Network
           Microsoft Windows Network
               Workgroup

HTH.

clearway

ok then, something funky with the server. forgive me for being lazy, i did the homegroup trouble shooter, it came up with an unsyncronized clock, i told it to fix it, really i don't even know if it was a problem or it fixed it, anyway, mapped the drive, browsed to the music folder, i did have to create the new lps folder and i am ready to test. i couldn't even browse to it before, but really, the clocks weren't the same? fix it? now i can see it on the expanded network, but a clock setting preventing me from even mapping a drive? well i will be evaluating, thanks for your imput!

Yes, I've seen that happen.  Sorry, I should have thought of it.  I think it's a kind of security thing.  Because a lot of software (including VinylStudio) needs file dates to be reliable, it's dangerous (in the sense that software will mysteriously misbehave) if two networked machines have differing views of what time it is.

Anyway, best of luck and enjoy VinylStudio!

Also, just a note to say that the \\server\share syntax will be properly supported in V7.10, due out in the next few days.