News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: New User for using VS to a...
Last post by Ecoli-557 - May 23, 2024, 11:57:31 PM
Makes some sense actually, thanks.

I can not at this time even try DSD as I have no ADC that spits it out......
Last post by Ecoli-557 - May 23, 2024, 11:56:47 PM
Quote from: LtMandella on May 23, 2024, 11:51:26 PMwhy are we not able to edit DSD?

My limited understanding is that each encoded value in DSD is computed from the previous moment's encoded value.  It is not simply a "snapshot" if you will of whatever waveforms were detected at any moment.

So cutting and pasting of encoded moments ends up being gibberish.

Makes some sense, thank you. 
Last post by LtMandella - May 23, 2024, 11:53:23 PM
I would not panic about not having DSD until you give it a thorough tryout.  Some people don't like it: too "laid back" or "artificially smooth" sounding. 
Last post by LtMandella - May 23, 2024, 11:51:26 PM
why are we not able to edit DSD?

My limited understanding is that each encoded value in DSD is computed from the previous moment's encoded value.  It is not simply a "snapshot" if you will of whatever waveforms were detected at any moment.

So cutting and pasting of encoded moments ends up being gibberish.
Last post by Ecoli-557 - May 23, 2024, 11:50:41 PM
Rats.
My ADL GT40 apparently does NOT do DSD.
Back to the drawing board.......
Last post by Ecoli-557 - May 23, 2024, 11:36:43 PM
I appreciate everyone helping in this - a wee bit more complicated than I had given thought.
As a newbie, DSD has more 'sound stage presence' possibly but, at the risk of not being able to edit the pops and clicks or any equalizing?  Do I have this correct?
LtMandella, I too have an ultrasonic cleaner and while most are fairly clean, there are a few that get in...... will try it however without editing.
Indy33, thanks for the notion to 'cut out' microsecond clicks/pops - may try that as well.

As you both understand this much better than me, why are we not able to edit DSD?  I still just do not have the big picture even after looking online.
Last post by Indy33 - May 23, 2024, 11:04:56 PM
Quote from: LtMandella on May 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PMI did not say DSD was better for editing.  Far from it.  H

I don't know why you thought I was talking to you, your post was not even directly above mine. I was just adding information to the thread.

Sorry if I offended you.
Last post by LtMandella - May 23, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
I did not say DSD was better for editing.  Far from it.  However the digital grit I often hear with PCM is aggravating enough to me at this point I would _much_ rather hear a few clicks and pops (I don't get many of those after I started using an Ultrasonic cleaner) than hear grit as almost the norm.

Last post by Indy33 - May 23, 2024, 08:23:38 PM
There are two types of DSD files. DSF and DFF file extensions, but only the DSF file has metadata. I don't know why anyone would use the DFF type.

Normally you can't edit a DSD files, except to break it into tracks. But if there are only a few clicks/pops then I will "cut out" the few milliseconds containing the click so I can retain the DSD format. But at some point this is just too time consuming.
Last post by Ecoli-557 - May 23, 2024, 05:19:03 PM
LtMandella, I just downloaded the beta update and will try it.  I have a SACD player and are familiar with its sound.  There HAS to be a way to do this says a retired electronics design engineer!

I have looked for a DSD file option and do not see it, where IS it located?
Never mind - its DSF/DSD.  Got it.