News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Folder Structure Settings

Started by Indy33, October 12, 2023, 10:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy33

I tried every which way I can think of, but not getting the expected results. Also searched the forum, just not getting anywhere.

I've copied my DSD music file (One File) to the local computer for VS. I want to save all my tracks to this folder (D:\VinylStudio Music\Rick's Albums\Barbara Streisand\Yentl) where my raw DSD file is located. But VS always seems to copy the DSD file to "Rick's Albums". Since I have the "Copy file to recordings folder", I would assume that's where my split files would also go.

I've also tried a "Custom" setting in VS Settings. See graphic below. I also tired all 4 VS Canned Settings, no success yet.

What am I doing wrong???

You cannot view this attachment.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

You've got VinylStudio set up to store both your 'raw' recordings / imported files and your saved, split-up tracks in the same folder, and that's not helping.

If your collection is otherwise (largely) empty, I would create a new one in a different folder (D:\VinylStudio Music\Recordings say, the 'Recordings' bit is important) and then "Copy file to recordings folder" will direct your imported files there.

I would then set your 'saved tracks' folder to:

D:\VinylStudio Music

and check 'Append name of collection to this folder'.

Finally, canned option 2 (Group albums by album artist) should give you what you want.  As it is, you started on more or less the right path but having your imported files and saved tracks in the same folder undid you.

Also, if you have VinylStudio Pro, there are facilities in the Batch window to move albums from your existing collection to the new one.  This will preserve all the track breaks etc. and you'll end up in the same place with less work to redo.

Indy33

Thanks Paul !!!

I'm going to a 3 day International Blue Grass Festival tomorrow, so it will be the day after before I can try your suggestions.

https://www.oibf.com/

OK.  Please let me know of any problems.  And enjoy your festival :)

Indy33

If I understood you correctly then I changed my settings to what's shown below.

Below is what I got. I'm wanting to have everything related to that album in ONE folder. The folder/file I started with is "D:\VinylStudio Music\Rick's Albums\Charlie Parker\Bird'DSF File". Below is what I ended up with.

Is there a setting that will give me what I'm trying to do.  I would like to know that all files/folders are in the ONE "Charlie Parker" folder. If VS created additional sub folders that would be fine.

Hi,

Two things strike me:

1.  You didn't do quite what I suggested.  I recommended creating your collection(s) in folder "D:\VinylStudio Music\Recordings", rather than "D:\VinylStudio Music".

2.  It looks like you created your album with the wrong artist.  It should (I assume) be Charlie Parker.  You can change that in the Edit Album Details dialog.  Then save you tracks again.

In general, when importing an audio file, VinylStudio attempts to guess the album artist and title.  If it gets it wrong (as it did here), then just edit those fields before proceeding.

Indy33

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on October 14, 2023, 11:00:29 PM1.  You didn't do quite what I suggested.  I recommended creating your collection(s) in folder "D:\VinylStudio Music\Recordings", rather than "D:\VinylStudio Music".
"Wouldn't your suggestion create another folder that holds just one folder that holds the albums??? This would just add to the length of the path unnecessarily. I must be missing something in my understanding.

If I'm going to be re-organizing my music, couldn't I create a path D:\Ricks Albums\ to hold all my albums Al Stewart, Barbra Streisand .....etc.

Quote from: Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft) on October 14, 2023, 11:00:29 PM2.  It looks like you created your album with the wrong artist.  It should (I assume) be Charlie Parker.  You can change that in the Edit Album Details dialog.  Then save you tracks again.
Thanks, that worked nicely !
Can/Could this operation also delete the original folder/files???
If not would a manual deleting of the original folder/files break any relationships in VS???

Appreciate your detailed help !!!

> Wouldn't your suggestion create another folder that holds just one folder that holds the albums??? This would just add to the length of the path unnecessarily. I must be missing something in my understanding.

Yes, that is what I'm suggesting.  It will keep your recordings separate from your saved tracks, and that is important.

> Can/Could this operation also delete the original folder/files???

It renames them, no need to delete anything manually.

Indy33

I created a new Collections called "Recordings" as you suggested.

After doing a "Move or Copy Selected Albums ...." in the"Batch" menu I still have the following files in "Rick's Albums". So I now have duplicate files. How do I fix this ..... manual deleting.

It seems there are alot of extra files in my NEW  collections folder called "Recordings".

Is this where you were expecting to see my raw DSF files to be located? Could there be folder to hold just the raw music files??? This would cleanup the "Recordings" folder.

When I copy the raw music files from another computer, where should I put them???

Thanks again for your great help !!!

> After doing a "Move or Copy Selected Albums ..." in the "Batch" menu I still have the following files in "Rick's Albums"

Those are your saved tracks (and now you know why they shouldn't go in the same folder as your 'raw' recordings!).

> (So) I now have duplicate files. How do I fix this ... manual deleting?

It is safe to delete saved tracks, yes.  They can always be saved again (just so long as you don't delete the albums or recordings making up your collection).

> It seems there are a lot of extra files in my NEW  collections folder called "Recordings".  Is this where you were expecting to see my raw DSF files to be located?

Yes, that's where they now live.

> When I copy the raw music files from another computer, where should I put them???

Don't copy them.  Import them, and then VinylStudio will copy them to the right place.

Indy33