News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording Problem [distortion]

Started by JohnSteele, March 30, 2015, 11:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSteele

Very new at this, but I'm about 50 lp's into my project and just started to go over the files and split them into tracks.  I thought I set the recording meter to avoid clipping, but the files do have many clips and I'm hearing distortion in the files.  Will probably have to re-record them.

The sample files on the website are very much more compact than the ones I've produced.  Mine explore the entire range of amplitude in the "split tracks" and "cleanup" windows.

Should I not see any red in the meter when I'm recording?  The typical record value for every LP I've done is between 37-41.   

Thanks for any insights!

John

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Well, you can try reducing the recording level further, although what you are using sounds about right.

It might be worth recording and processing one album at a time...

JohnSteele

Thanks Paul,

Just to confirm, should the files look like yours in the examples?  Peaks at about half the available display? (When looking at the WAV files graphically in the split tracks tab)

John

JohnSteele

Attached a jpg of what my distorted file looks like.

Yes, it's certainly clipped, I don't know why.  Please just try reducing the recording level.

JohnSteele

I did that, and eliminated the clipping, but now the files sound muffled.  I read in another of your posts that it might be due to the RIAA equilization filter being "on" during recording.  Thought that was a function of the phono stage in the receiver.  I noticed I have it turned on, so I'm recording a few records with it turned off to compare. I do notice that with it off, I need to increase the slider. 

Some of the lps have come across very well though, and the splitting/saving features in VS are very helpful..

Finally getting the hang of the editing steps.

John

Hi,

Yes, it should be turned off for most people.  It does provide a bit of gain, so having to increase the slider setting is normal.