News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

1st recording...

Started by PeterGalbavy, February 09, 2015, 04:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterGalbavy

Finally got everything wired up good to go yesterday so I took the opportunity to actually use VS for the first time for "real".

My set-up has been through a bit of a makeover recently, going from a Pro-Ject Debut III with add-ons, including a Phonobox USB V - which I originally intended to use - through to a dual deck Numark TTXUSB set-up with an old Numark DXM01USB mixer. The decks came via Cash Converters at less than 1/2 retail and were both unused, ex-display looking. I had a pair of Super OM40 carts and I am happy ;)

Observations; VS is relatively easy to use but being the enthusiastic person I am I may have fiddled with the defaults too much before using it so I had to go back and start again. Example of this style of over-enthusiasm fail - setting the USB sample rate to 44.1/16 but setting the record to FLAC 48/16.

One thing that I couldn't find is a way of hiding corrections rather than showing them in grey vs the green of the uncorrected view. Does this exist? My eyes are drawn to sharp peaks regardless of colour and for the way my brain works hiding corrections would be easier.

I have yet to do more thorough testing of the various phono and USB ADC stages available to me , largely because setting the USB ADC gain on the Numark TTXUSB is so hard and I will compare with the Pro-ject box too. One detail though that became obvious - the phono stage(s) in the mixer is awful compared to the one in the TTs - that much I did try - but the USB ADC is acceptable in a sample of one.

I did this with Deacon Blue's Raintown album. Nice dynamic range and listening to Dignity from the rip vs the CD single shows the vinyl is so much more dynamic even with the slightly audiable background noise.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

I'm afraid that VinylStudio can't hide your corrections, sorry.

Thank you for your obvservations on the various bits of equipment you are using.  I'd always recommend a bit of experimentation before recording records in bulk.  As you say, you only want to do it once!

Many USB ADC's are limited to 44 / 48 kHz, 16 bit.  It's not clear from the specifications whether this is true of the Numark, but at the price I would hope for something better,  But if it shows up in VinylStudio as USB Audio CODEC, then it is lilmited in this way.

PeterGalbavy

Just read up on the Creative E5 and found it for £133 next day delivered.

Solves my portable headphone amp requirement and is also a well regarded 96/24 DAC and also does ADC. No real reviews about the capture quality, but we'll  see :-)

No idea if it's going to help but it's another option to play with.

I'll try the other 44.1/16 options too late this week.