News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

14.0.4 In general

Started by Steve Crook, March 30, 2024, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Crook

I must say, apart from the headline changes, you guys have been very busy with small tweaks to behaviour and look and feel, it's a nice spring clean. It took a while before it dawned on me that manual repairs now have a very slightly different colour to automatic for example. Or at least I think that's new :) there's a point at which past and present begin to blur... It's an age thing.

I'm still playing around with Multiclick (once I'd worked out where it was :)) to get an idea of how best to use it, it's already been very handy in silencing short patches of background mush and I expect to revisit some of my more troublesome recordings to see if I can tame them a little.

Congrats on the release.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Thank you Steve.  Now all we need to do is nix all the bugs...

bjornvinyl

Hi, I'm excited about VinylStudio moving forward with new features and improved performance. I would love to know more about the Multiclick feature but cannot find much info. What is its main purpose and when should it be applied?

Steve Crook

You can find it on the 'Patch' dialog on the cleanup tab.

Generally, I use low level automatic click removal (level 2) and then manually fix any remaining clicks on quieter sections of the recording. It works well, but I always struggled with those schripp,  shwoosh type noises and was applying (sometimes) 100+ very short manual repairs to remove them. Multi-click appears to be doing something like this but in a much more sophisticated fashion and with fine control over the level of effect.

I did the cleaning of around 10 albums yesterday and only needed to use multi-click on two albums, but it got rid of irritating, short, repeated, background noise that would have been impossible to remove otherwise.

You have to experiment, some noises can be dealt with through manual repair, sometimes other Patch algorithms work well, but I'm going to be making a lot of use of multi-click...

For me at least it's worth the price all on its own.

> Multi-click appears to be doing something like this

Yes, it's a sequence of adjacent click repairs stitched together, basically.  We were surprised at how well it works.

bjornvinyl

Thanks Steve, for pointing me in the right direction. I've used the Patch methods before with varying results so this will be interesting when I come across a more extended scratch. I'm also impressed that you cleaned 10 albums in a day! After doing the overall scan how do you find the damages that need extra attention? I usually listen with headphones, but ten albums takes a very long time...

Also when looking for the Multiclick I noticed the clip scan. Paul, will this also help with compressed music? Sometimes I rip Blu-ray audio and import it into VinylStudio to do the track breaks. I've discovered that some recordings seems to put a very hard amplitude limit on the music, similar to clipping.

Should do.  That's the intention anyway, suggest blind listening test.  Any clips detected are shown in the corrections list, so you can quickly and easily see if the scan actually did anything (and if it didn't but you still see flat tops then please talk to us).