News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

24bit USB Soundcard?

Started by double6jg, January 28, 2014, 10:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double6jg

Hi all

Newcomer to Vinyl Studio but have been digitising my vinyl collection for some years using other software. I changed because a friend asked me what was the best software and I couldnt recommend the other one and realised I was only using it out of laziness and avoiding a learning curve. So I tried VS properly having dabbled with a trial a year or so ago.

Anyway I have been using a Behringer UCA202 for 5 years or so but now wondering if I should be looking to upgrade to something similar but 24bit. Needs to 2xphono in and out as its permanently hooked to one of my amps tape loops. Anyone any suggestions (UK supplier needed)?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

We have no specific recommendation, but do you already have a phono preamp?  If so, you only need a unit that accepts line-level inputs and that will broaden your choice somewhat and potentially bring the price down.  You may also get a lower background noise level as the phono stage is not in the same box as the USB.

Also, how much are you considering spending?  Units capable of 96/24 recording tend to be more expensive as they are aimed at the higher end of the market.  Prices vary from a few hundred to a thousand pounds or more.

double6jg

My hardware
Couple of different turntables (moving magnet) which are connected to a traditional Sony Amp which has a full phono pre-amp. There are 2 tape loops.
The Sony Amp has no speakers attached only a pair of decent Sennheiser headphones.
Loop 1 is connected to the Behringer UAC202 - which has phonos in & out and an optical out (which I dont use) - the USB is connected to a small W7 Laptop which is almost solely used to do the digitising. I have umpteen other PCs, laptops & tablets around the place.
Loop 2 is used as a feed to & from my AV Receiver in order that I can use its speakers when required and also feed analogue sound back to my headphones.

The Behringer UAC202 is 16bit / 44.1 or 48 khz. It was about £25 and to be honest is pretty good.

I am looking for something 24bit to take me to 96 khz or 192khz. I just need a phono in & phono out as per the Behringer. I am not looking for a Hi-fi DAC just a higher grade external USB Soundcard. I was thinking £100 or thereabouts.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Try the Focusrite 2i2.  You might need an additional cable to connect to it's slightly weird input socket.  I don't think there's much else that will do 96/24 in that price range.

Having said which, my own view is that 44/16 is enough for vinyl so if you like what you're currently hearing you might stick with that.