News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording a Sampler

Started by felusch, June 22, 2013, 01:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

felusch

Hi there,

I´m new here, so first of all THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOME SOFTWARE!
I broke my right hand and want to use some time to record vinyls ...so this tool is perfect.

Question:

how do you guys workaround to record samplers?
I want a folder for a sampler, e.g.:

"Nu Yorica Roots"

containing files with filenames e.g.:

Artist 1 - Album Title - Track# - Track Title
Artist 2 - Album Title - Track# - Track Title

the tagging with lookup function should change the artist field that was filled formerly while creating it.
using the single option is too much work for that isn´t it ? ...with e.g. 4 sides samplers 20 tracks

the album can only own one artist?!

thanks for your help and suggestions!

cheers
Bodo

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

An album can only have one artist, yes.  Do these tracks actually come from different albums?  I think I would just digitise the albums in the usual way and then copy the tracks I want in my sampleer folder to that folder from their original locations (using Windows Explorer / Macintish Finder).

Or have I misunderstood?  I'm not completely clear on what you are trying to do.

felusch

sorry for asking a bit confusing, so you missunderstood me
I mean recording a sampler album with songs of different artists

felusch

so I have to edit all Artist fields in the tags for the separat track individualy correct?

maybe a suggestion for your list:

at lookup track listing menu: add a checkbox "overwrite artist field for each individual track if different to the album artist"

No, individual tracks can have their own artist - the track artist.  You will find this in the Edit Track Details dialog.  This goes in a different tag to the album artist, and what various players do with these tags tends to vary.

You can alsio use the track artist as a component of the file name.  Have a look at the 'When saving tracks, name them as' field in the Settings / Preferences dialog for more information.

I think I misunderstood your original post.  VinylStudio actually has quite good facilities for recording compilation albums, which I think is what you mean by a 'sampler' album.

felusch

ok totaly understand except one detail that may caused my confuses:

a given album in vinystudio has only a album artist information, the track artist field is empy.
I save/export the files as mp3 and the syntax for naming files TrackArtist - Trackname works fine
also the mp3 tags after export containing trackartist information when i crosscheck with itunes?!

why? ...is the trackartist overwriten during save/export process with albumartist?

thanks Paul!

Hi,

VinylStudio copies the album artist to the track artist field if a track has no artist of its own.  This seemed better than leaving the tag empty (or not writing it out at all).

felusch

just want to close this issue with a hint that all is working perfect with compilations  8)

1. I set Album Artist manualy to "Various" while creating it

2. if Discogs (for example) provides individual Artist information for the tracks ...what it normaly does,
    Vinyl Studio will fillout the Track-Artist field automatic and all is fine!

felusch

sorry must re-open:

1. preferences -> When saving tracks, name them as:

[Track Artist] - ([Album Title]) - [Track Number] - [Track Title]

2. for non-compilation albums discogs has no track artist data, so after lookup the track artist field is empty

3.   save as mp3 results in: 
3.1 filename starts at: ([Album Title]) - [Track Number] - [Track Title]
3.2 mp3 tag field track-artist contains the same data as album artist, seems that this is copied during save/export

4. I have to change my file name preferences for compilations and single artist albums

Wishlist:

copy "album artist" data to all "track artist" fields inside vinyl studio

Try:

[Performing Artist] - ([Album Title]) - [Track Number] - [Track Title]

The VinylStudio help file does mention this.

felusch