News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

WAV or FLAC to ALAC in iTunes?

Started by GaryG, May 28, 2013, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryG

This is more of a post processing or workflow question rather than a Vinyl Studio question. 
My original plan was to save my recordings as WAV files, import them into iTunes, convert the WAV files in iTunes to ALAC, and delete the WAV files from iTunes.  The problem with this workflow is that I will have to manually enter the ID3 tag information in iTunes.  I'm running Windows 7 on a laptop, so to my knowledge I cannot run some of the Apple tagging scripts that I have heard about.

My second option is to save my recordings as FLAC files and import them into iTunes.  It appears that I will have to purchase software in order to get the FLAC files into iTunes.  I think the software will convert the FLAC files to ALAC files prior to importing into iTunes.  From what I have read the ID3 tags in the FLAC files will not be lost when converted to ALAC files, and I will not have to enter the tag information once the files are in iTunes.

Does anyone have any advice on which option would be better and if there is something that I'm missing in either of the options?

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Are you working on a Mac?  If so,  VinylStudio can save your tracks as ALAC with all the relevant tagging information included, end of story.

What software are you looking at to convert FLAC to ALAC?  I think dBpoweramp  can do this (on Windows).

GaryG

Hi Paul,
I'm on a PC running Windows 7 64bit, so the VinylStudio save to ALAC won't work for me.

I found a thread in another forum that mentioned Bigasoft FLAC Converter, and also found a mention of dBpoweramp.  I'm looking at both of them in case FLAC is the route I want to take.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

OK, good luck.  I would expect them to preserve most of the tagging information, although there are some differences between file formats.