News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording complete message

Started by ijhedges, April 19, 2013, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ijhedges

I have been using VinylStudio successfully for the past couple of weeks and have been very impressed with how well the click cleanup is working.

One thing, after over 200 singles, is there any way to turn off the 'Recording complete. To split this recording...' message.

Thanks, Ian

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Sorry, no.  We'll put it on the list.

ijhedges

Rob-C

This is also bugging me, but I feel it could be turned into a useful feature. May I suggest making it a dialogue box with a number of options? Often I cut short a recording, either to change the recording level, or due to user error (mis cue, stylus skating, jumping off the record, etc.). I would suggest a selection including:

• Record side again (keep on same side, overwrite and start recording)
  • Record next side (start recording, assuming the user raised the stylus before choosing this option)
  • Prepare to record a new album (Clear the window and start the data entry for the next albulm)
  • Finish Recording (The current behavior)
It would also be useful to show the recording level in this window, maybe with a flag or a warning if the recording was clipped.

If this is not possible, may I suggest that the main screen layout is reviewed for usability. In particular re-recording a side, is torturous, requiring to accept the completes message - it wasn't!(pop-up), reselect the side (screen left pull-down),  record (button top-right), confrm to overwrite (pop-up confirmation box). This maybe fine sat at a nice comfy desk, but I am sure that the nature of the product means that I am not alone in having a Mac / PC built into the A/V setup and operated with wireless mouse pad / keyboard stood by the turntable deck.

Apart from this and a few other useablity tweaks, I love the product, althought so far only recorded a mix of 65 albums, singles and 78s, it would be great to reduce the time taken setting up and spend more time recording.

Thanks, Rob
Rotel RP-830, Orto 2M Blue & 78 Stylus, Pro-Ject Phono Box USB V (with gain knob), Mac Mini, VS 8.5.3, AIFF at 48/16
Denon AVR-4520, Mission e83 elegante, FLAC / ALAC
Wishlist: Pro-Ject 33/45/78 turntable, ADL Esprit & some nice valve stuff!!!
Loricraft PCM4 RCM and 2,500+ records (The Challenge)

Tortuous is a strong word.  The workflow is optimised for recording sides in order, that's all.

I'm not sure it's wise to overload the 'Recording Complete' message in this way.  You might, for example, be in the Lookup Track Listing dialog when it pops up and the Record window is not available until this dialog is closed.  I would not like to implement so much recording functionality outside of the Record window.

Clips, and the maximum recording level reached, are already shown in the Record window.  But thanks for your feedback.

salty

I wouldn't quite call it "tortuous" but having a quicker way to re-record would be great.  I can see how it's problematic to do anything with the dialog box, but what about having a "Stop and Re-Record" button on the "Record" tab?  That would take care of my usual case - I'm sitting here monitoring the recording and notice it's clipped so I just want to adjust the level and do it again.

We will consider this, thank you.

usman123

pressed with how well the click cleanup is working.

One thing, after over 200 singles, is there any way to turn off the 'Recording complete. To split this recording...' mes
uxman

Not currently, no.  It serves a useful purpose, especially if you are working in another window when recording finishes.