News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

re saving tracks with raised pre amp gain for overly quiet recordings?

Started by mrmike_49@yahoo.com, April 01, 2021, 02:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmike_49@yahoo.com

NEVER MIND : found the video "(what to do if your recordings are too quiet)" and it answered my question! I did NOT understand exactly what Normalization does, very powerful and handy!

My set-up seems to have resulted in most (~90%) of my records being too quiet after recording. It becomes an issue when I copy those tracks to a USB drive along with CD rips - which are mostly MUCH louder, and play in my car.

I just figured out that I can use the Pre-Amp Gain in the Graphic Equalizer to adjust for this, :-[ so for future digitizing that's fine- question is what to do about the 3 dozen or so recordings I already have. Some of these were NOT too quiet, others were VERY quiet - so I need a way to determine an "appropriate" boost level setting on the Pre-Amp. During initial recording, I can keep an eye on the level meter and get a reasonable idea of what gain, but how about with previously recorded sides? Any way to guestimate an appropriate level?

Lewis

Quote from: mrmike_49@yahoo.com on April 01, 2021, 02:55:19 AM
It becomes an issue when I copy those tracks to a USB drive along with CD rips - which are mostly MUCH louder, and play in my car.

I just figured out that I can use the Pre-Amp Gain in the Graphic Equalizer to adjust for this, :-[ so for future digitizing that's fine- question is what to do about the 3 dozen or so recordings I already have. Some of these were NOT too quiet, others were VERY quiet - so I need a way to determine an "appropriate" boost level setting on the Pre-Amp. During initial recording, I can keep an eye on the level meter and get a reasonable idea of what gain, but how about with previously recorded sides? Any way to guestimate an appropriate level?
Hi. Normalization things will never do any good. Ref industry standard ITU BS1770-4. E.g. I use AUX (a-a) input for playing back not-too-loud rips via my Cayin (selecting the pre-set gain from Low to Medium), never use High to avoid distortions.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

I would use VinylStudio's Normalisation feature.  It's designed to handle exactly this problem.  Then save your tracks again.

If you have VinylStudio Pro, there is a batch Normalisation (and batch Save) feature.