News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Changing speed

Started by danco, June 27, 2023, 06:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danco

It's a long time since I needed to use Vinyl Studio. It was very useful in the past, and I had a sudden need for it again for one or two items.

I can't connect my turntable to my computer as they are in different rooms. However, I can record from my turntable to my music unit and ftp the recordings across to my computer.

As a result of this, I have on my computer a wav file consisting of a 45 disc recorded at 33 speed. I would like to clean this up to the proper speed. Can this be done in Vinyl Studio? I would guess that it can, but the things I tried did not seem to work.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You need to enable VinylStudio's Speed Conversion feature before recording, I'm afraid.  How many files are affected?  If it's just the one, you might as well re-record it.

danco

As I said, physically connecting my turntable to computer isn't possible because of the location of the devices. I was hoping that I could use a computer file as an input, but I guess not.

Is it possible to use something playing on an iPhone as an input? At least that is a physical player of sound that could be plugged in to the computer.

Oh right, sorry, missed that.  You can't record on your iPhone but there is a program called Audacity which should be able to perform the conversion.  You can then import the converted file into VinylStudio for further processing.

Audacity is a free download, Google will track it down.

TXPaul

Hello.  I'm new to the forum and have a question about Speed Conversion, as I asked about this capacity before purchasing.  I have a reel tape that was recorded on a tape desk that ran too fast.  That deck is long gone, so when I play it on a newer deck, the pitch is too high.  Question: Is the Speed Conversion feature able to compensate so that the digitized file will be at correct pitch?   

Yes, that's the kind of thing it's meant for.

You will probably have to make a few test recordings to get the settings right, but then VinylStudio will remember them.

TXPaul

Thanks very much.  Where do I begin looking for the reference to Speed Conversion that has instructions?  Obviously my newness to the program is showing, but thanks for the indulgence.

Hi,

It's in the VinylStudio help file under Recording Albums -> Speed Conversion.

TXPaul

Thank you, Mr. Sanders.   The help is appreciated.