News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Exporting Track Breaks

Started by Gretschguy, May 27, 2023, 08:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gretschguy

Hello, I'm a new user. I've ripped about 1000 LPs using a combination of Pure Vinyl (recording) and Sound Studio (editing). I actually ran a vinyl-only internet radio station for about 7 years. Anyway, I somehow missed this great software and I'm now working through switching my process to Vinyl Studio. So far it's going incredibly well!

I have a question on track breaks. I often re-rip the same LP using different combinations of equipment.  Just part of the hobby for me to explore these differences (tube amp, solid state, SUT or no SUT, ...).  It would be really helpful to be able to export the track breaks from a vinyl rip and then be able to re-import those markers with exact positions on a re-rip of the same LP.

I'm able to export the track listing to a txt file from the Batch menu, from there I can edit the text file and import that as a track listing in the Split Tracks section. This is close to what I'm trying to do, but I'm guessing there might be a more direct way to export and import the actual markers (track breaks)?

Thanks and awesome job on this software!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

You could try making creative use of CUE sheets (you will need VinylStudio Pro for this).

Start by generating a cue sheet for the album you want to 'clone'.  Then, after recording a second copy, edit the CUE sheet with the appropriate album name and file names.  Then import it.

It make take you one or two goes to get it right, but once mastered it shouldn't be difficult.

Just for a bit of context, CUE sheets are text files (so you can edit them with Notepad, for example) and have a fairly obvious internal structure.

Gretschguy

Thanks Paul,

I've had success with exporting the track listings and editing them with a text editor.

Would it be possible to add an option to the track list export which is readable back into the split tracks import?

It would just skip the headers and skip the numbering of the tracks.

So instead of

My Album ...

1. Song A (2:33)
2. Song B (3:24)

It would allow a simpler export:

Song A (2:33)
Song B (3:24)

This would then help save the step of modifying the track list export (or cue sheet) with a text editor.

Thanks again,
Gretschguy

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

VinylStudio can already do that.  The options you need are:

You cannot view this attachment.

But I can see that it would be nice to (also) have an option to export a track listing for an album, rather than having to drag things around in the Burn window first, so we'll look into that when time permits.

The advantage of mastering doing this with CUE sheets is that gaps between tracks are preserved (and also any indent you may have added for the first track on each side.  So I'd recommend at least looking into it before you decide what your workflow is going to be.

Gretschguy

Awesome. Will do.
I'll explore both of those suggestions.