News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Recording a disc that is "gapless"

Started by JoeK, February 14, 2023, 04:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeK

Hi,

I recorded an album that is for all intents and purposes gapless (one song fades or transitions to the next without any real break between the songs.

I am not sure how to use track splitting or another function within Vinyl Studio to produce a recording that can be broken into the individual tracks but play back in gapless format with software such as JRiver Media Center.

Can someone give me the broad strokes of how to go about doing this?  I recorded the album as two files and not recorded as a single file.

Thank you!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response but no notification came through to me for some reason.

If you leave space between each red end-of-track marker and the next green start-of-track marker then with luck you should get what you want.  The only exception would be at the side break, where you are going to want to eliminate the 'dead air' (by manipulating the markers appropriately).

You can hear how it's going to sound before you save your tracks (especially at the side break) by telling VinylStudio to 'Skip gap between tracks' in the cursor menu and then playing the audio across the break.

I hope that is all understandable!  It's harder to explain than to do.

JoeK

Thanks Paul.  It worked as you indicated.

Jerrysnb

Paul, I'm having a similar problem. The original recording is a live performance of an operetta, so it has no track breaks. I inserted some so that you could skip to a particular song and burnt the CD with "None" as the gap between track on audio CD. Nonetheless, the CD has gaps between the tracks. This is regardless of what software or hardware I use: PowerDVD, Media Player, Foobar2000, or an actual physical CD player.

I don't understand what your previous message will do to fix the problem.
Jerry S

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

Have you checked the 'Gap between tracks on audio CDs' setting in VinylStudio's Burning Options dialog?  It's set to 2 seconds by default.

This is because some older players can't cope with shorter gaps, but it's worth a try.  The OP in this thread is playing his tracks (as files, I assume) on JRiver, which supports gapless playback.

Your other option would be to cross-fade the tracks (using VinylStudio's faders in the Split Tracks window).  But I appreciate you'd rather not.

Jerrysnb

I'd made many versions of the same disk while I was experimenting. Apparently, the one I kept was not made with the options it should have been.

It's all sorted now.

Thanks for your help.
Jerry S