News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Running VinylStudio in a virtual machine

Started by LateJunction, October 05, 2022, 11:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LateJunction

I'm trying to stop having to run Windows; one of the last important apps. I have in Windows is VinylStudio. Has anybody tried and succeeded in running it in some form of Virtual machine, or even WINE or Steam or some such in Linux? I tried about 5 years ago, but failed because of limited technical understanding as much as anything else.
"The British people love music; they just don't like the noise it makes"

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

WINE may or may not work.  It didn't, last time we tried, but that was a long time ago and a lot has changed so it's definitely worth giving it a try.

Alternatively, installing Windows in a regular VM (such as Virtual Box, which is free) *does* work, but you might have issues recording and playing back audio as the emulation for these functions by the VM software itself is not all that good.  You might also be unable to burn CDs and DVDs (if you care about that at all), but an external (USB) drive might work.

LateJunction

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll try the WINE route first, because it is a lot simpler.
"The British people love music; they just don't like the noise it makes"

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

OK, makes sense.  Let us know how it goes, if that's OK.