News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Sample rate settings

Started by wpopp43, August 27, 2022, 11:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wpopp43

I have bought a "Pro Ject Phono Box USB" for recording. The Install instuctions say, I have to setup the audio settings for the device with 48 KHz at 16 Bit. So far so good, sound is really better than my old and simple USB-Converter.

but I dont like the non-Standard 48 KHz, I would like to record to 44.1 KHz. I am not shure if this audios are played without problems  at every device, at least some old ones could get probs. And 4 KHz dont change (much) the Quality, in my opinion

So I would like to know: When the Windows-hardware is setup for 48 KHz and I record in VS to a Flac with 44.1 KHz, what does Vinyl Studio do? Is the Sample rate switched on hardware and record is then simply the incoming signal. Or is the hardware providing 48 KHz and VinylStudio converts the signal to a 44.1 KHz file?
I would like to have a unconverted Record, and wondering how the Samplerate is used in VS.

Why do I ask this?
I have problems in VS with the signal, i can hear a high tone (perhaps 8-10 KHz) in background when I am really loud for searching the Split Tracks. Since I know this, i am searching for the reason. I am not shure what I can do here.  I thought I should folow the setup instuctions first. Switching the file option KHz dont change it while listening with Check Level.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

That device can also record at 44.1kHz.  If you set things up right, VinylStudio won't perform a sample rate conversion, although I don't think you'll notice any loss of quality if it does.

So, the setup procedure would be:

1.  Configure VinylStudio to record at 44.1 kHz, 16 bit in the Recording Options dialog.

2.  Change Windows' default recording format to match that as follows:

a)  In VinylStudio's Check Level dialog, click on 'Recording Controls' while holding down the Shift key.

b)  When the window opens, select your device in the list.

c)  Click Properties.

d)  Click on the Advanced tab.

e)  Select the correct format from the list.

f)  Click OK.

Then make a quick test recording to check that everything is working as it should.

As for the background noise, that's a hardware fault so you need to talk to Pro-Ject.  Some USB devices do do it.  A shielded (audio-grade) USB cable might help, as might connecting (or disconnecting) the turntable's earth lead (if it has one).

wpopp43

Thank you very much for this detailed description.  :)
This is exactly what I wanted to know.

in this days I make some recording in 48 KHz and 44.1 Khz. then I can compare the result in my whole work flow to the compressed files for phone/car/speaker with sdcard. I restarted my recordings so often, I want to be sure what the best solution could be for me  :-\

I want a good material for archiving - encoding and fileformat can changed easily afterwards....

Quite honestly, I'd be surprised if you can tell the difference, even if a sample rate conversion is taking place.  But I agree, it's good to experiment.

Lewis

Hi there folks,
IMMDFM, resampling other than in multiples of 44.1 would result in some drawbacks.
Consider you should set 44.1kHz for your recordings. Not sure whether your Pro-Ject USB box can handle 88.2/96kHz instead.

wpopp43

Thank you all for your answers.
I made some records with 44.1 and 48 KHz. I dont hear a difference in this two types. I think my hardware is not good enough. So there is no need for me to make a big deal with it, I use the "normal" one with 44.1 KHz.  ;D

About the disturbing background- noises: There is also no hearable difference for me. Its analog so there is a small sound from the electronics, To be honest, when the needle goes down, the noise from the lp is much higher that this electonic disturbing :)

I need some time to get into this media again. And I see: Beetter result cost always muchg money to improove something. So I use what I have now.

And with Vinyl Studio my workflow ist very fast and easy.
Thank you guys and ladies for this peace of software!

OK, thanks for the update.

VinylStudio's hiss filter might be able to remove that background noise, if it is bothering you.