Forum List > General Discussion

Record Speed/Pitch

(1/2) > >>

dlmckain:
I notice that track breaks (imported from Discogs) seem to be ahead of the actual breaks in my recordings. Understandably, a lot depends on how long after you start recording the first side (which produces an offset for all tracks), how long you wait before needle up on first side and before the actual beginning of the first track of the second side. These I understand. However, that the breaks get further and further (in time) from the actual breaks as you go through a side is concerning.

I worry that my pitch control on my turntable is not accurate even though the strobe is spot-on. I'd assume the crystal (older turntable) that controls the strobe would be relatively accurate.

Also, whether the Discogs track lengths are a) accurate of b) include silence between tracks is a bit of a crap shoot.

Any thoughts on how to check whether it's an equipment issue?

Really love using Vinyl Engine to digitize/clean-up/archive my vinyl collection.

Dave

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft):
Hi,

I'm not sure I'd rely on Discogs track timings to that extent.  Most of them are pulled from CDs, not vinyl, so the gaps between tracks will almost certainly be different.  There are definitely more reliable ways to check the speed of your turntable.  You used to be able to strobe from mains lighting, but I'm not sure that modern bulbs 'flicker' in the way that filament lamps do.

One little trick that you might find useful in VinylStudio is to hold down the Alt key while dragging the first track break for the album or album side.  The track break markers then all move as a group (everyone seems to miss that one)

And, um, Vinyl Engine is an enthusiasts' website (and a very good one) ...

Steve Crook:
As a rule the strobe should be good enough, particularly if it's one that relies on mains frequency to report on speed. You don't mention the TT type. If you need help with electronics or mechanicals then DIY Audio have an analogue source forum where there's discussion on a wide variety of things including Technics, Thorens and others, refurbishing them and making repairs or upgrading.

For example there's this recent thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/378446-technics-sl-1301-running-1-fast.html but there are loads of others...

dlmckain:

--- Quote from: Steve Crook on November 05, 2021, 09:26:44 AM ---As a rule the strobe should be good enough, particularly if it's one that relies on mains frequency to report on speed. You don't mention the TT type. If you need help with electronics or mechanicals then DIY Audio have an analogue source forum where there's discussion on a wide variety of things including Technics, Thorens and others, refurbishing them and making repairs or upgrading.

For example there's this recent thread: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/378446-technics-sl-1301-running-1-fast.html but there are loads of others...

--- End quote ---

It is a Technics SL-D3. I'm not sure but, from what I can tell of the schematic, the strobe operates from mains frequency. I'll look into it further.

I have a digital strobe but not sure of it's precision and would have to pick a multiple of the frequency (556 or 5556 or 55556 Hz, 100 * 1/3 / 60 * 10^x) and see what I see.

I also have an SL-Q3 and some other tables (SL-1900, SL-2000, Realistic Lab-400, etc.) that I can check against.

Would be interesting to be able to use my old "test" record and see if a 440 Hz "A" is played as 440 Hz.

Science!

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft):
> Would be interesting to be able to use my old "test" record and see if a 440 Hz "A" is played as 440 Hz.

Why can't you?  Do you no longer have it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version