News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Enhancement suggestion: Drag/manual editing of waveform in cleanup audio

Started by Steve Crook, October 17, 2021, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Crook

I'm trying to clean up an album and there are some peaks that seem to be resistant to all my attempts to reduce them. They're usually among other sharp peaks I want to keep, and Repair just won't let me cut the target down enough no matter what the width and patch always seems to give me weird side effects. I'm not aware of anything else I can try...

It would be nice to be able to do a Repair and then manually edit the area to get just the curve just as I want. I did wonder about something where, when the repair is zoomed in, I'd be presented with a series of thin sliders, each one changing the level of a smallish part of the repair. It's something I've seen in many software graphic equalisers and seems appropriate for this too...

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi Steve,

I don't think we will be doing this.  The way that VinylStudio repairs (or, rather, fills in from the audio either side) damaged sections of audio is usually very effective and it would be quite a bit of work.

Perhaps you could send me an audio file that exhibits this problem, along with the timecode of the offending peak.  I will then take a look.  I have sent you a Dropbox invitation so that you can upload the relevant files (the 'raw' recording and the corresponding .crd file, please).  A screenshot would also be useful to demonstrate the exact problem you're having.

Please let me know if the invitation doesn't turn up in your inbox.  Thx.

Steve Crook

That's really kind, thankyou. And yes, it would be a lot of work to implement but sooo cool.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear that, in 80% of cases VS editing does the job perfectly and easily. I have issues where I've got a click or pop that's of similar amplitude as the music so it's not like one where it stands out from the surrounds and VS has easy context to work with.

I'll post back here when I've got the stuff together, might be a couple of days...

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Thank you.  In your own time, no rush.

I certainly want to take a look because, personally, I've never experienced it.  More likely (I reckon) is that you haven't located the exact location of the click / pop (detecting pops is particularly difficult for the scanner).  There are various ways of dealing with a situation like this.  Once I get your files I'll know more about what ails you.