News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Discogs Lookup

Started by vinylvark, July 10, 2021, 02:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinylvark

Hello,

On the initial screen when starting a new recording, the Discogs lookup isn't working. A string for band or release seems to work, but the release number always returns the messages that the release couldnt be found. I tried the number, prefixed with r and prefixed with +r.

It would be grand if that could be made to work.

Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

You need to enter the release number in square brackets, e.g. [499497]

vinylvark

Hi, thanks for your reply.

May I ask why its different there? Wouldnt it be easier if this was consistent throughout the program?

Sorry, the example I should have given you was [r499497], and Discogs show it that way on their website, see:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Sgt-Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Club-Band/release/499497

(top-left).

You enter it the same way in the Lookup Track Listing dialog (see popup help for the artist field).

vinylvark

Ah oke, the confusion for me comes from the fact that +r123435 works when splitting tracks (lookup on tracks), but not when starting the recording.

As a suggestion, I think it would be really nice if the program would correct it automatically, try the string as it is given, add the r if its missing, add the + if nothing is found, add the brackets, etc. Make my life easier :).

Either way I'm happy I can use Discogs lookups as it is, my entire record collection is there added perfectly on release number.

Thanks for the help!

There seem to be Discogs release numbers without an "r", but suggestion noted.

Hello again,

I took a look at this, and what we have done is to clarify the instructions in the prompt.  We need the square brackets to distinguish between a release number and a catalog number.

The fact that +r123435 works when looking up track listings is a bit coincidental.  It's searching a different index at Discogs and may not find the same results as entering [r123435] (which is the 'official' way to do it, and is therefore encouraged).  You are then specifically searching for the release number, rather than searching a much broader index that happens to contain release numbers.

vinylvark

Hi Paul, I read your reply and took note of it before, I just failed to leave a thank you for your work on this.

Definitely appreciated, thanks!

K, thanks.  We'll probably do a bit of extra work on the UI in fact.  Some other aspects of it are still a bit unclear.