News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Exclude part of the recording from "Scan for Clicks"

Started by ClarkKent, November 19, 2010, 07:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClarkKent

Hello,

I´m new here. I use Vinylstudio now for a few weeks to digitize my record-collection, and I love this software.
And usually it works absolut wonderful, especially the "Scan for Clicks" section.
But yesterday I recorded some records from Peter Schilling, and the beginning of Major Tom is somehow problematic.
The first few seconds sounds awful after scanning for clicks, no matter what adjustments I make in the dialog.
Now my question, is there a way to exclude some parts from scanning for clicks, so that they don't get scanned?
Or has anyone maybe had the same promblem with Major Tom and got it right?

Greetings, CK

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

The easiest way is probably to remove the click repairs from the affected area oafter scanning.  To do this:

1.  Select the affected area in the Cleanup Audio window (click and drag).

2.  Select 'Remove corrections' from the Cleanup Audio menu.

3.  Select the 'Process Selection' radio button.

4.  Click OK.

Could you send me the source material that is affected in this way please?  I'd like to see why VinylStudio is performing so poorly.  To do this:

1.  Select the affected area in the Cleanup Audio window.

2.  Select 'Save Selection As' from the Cleanup Audio menu.

3.  Save the file in MP3 format to keep the file size down.

4.  Email me the file.

Many thanks,

Paul Sanders.

ClarkKent

Hi Paul,

this works, thanks.
I created the mp3 and wanted to mail it to you, but I didn't find your email-adress. Or can this be sent via PM?

Greetings, CK

Ah, sorry.  Trying to cut down on the spam.  Please send it here

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Thanks.

OK, got it, thanks.  The synth defeats VinylStudio's Brass Protection algorithm.  You can see from the screenshot that the little spikes in the waveform look a lot like clicks so VinylStudio takes them out.  Brass Protection is supposed to prevent this but in this instance it has failed to do so, probably because the spikes are so marked.  Scanning at reduced sensitivity helps but there is still a lot of damage so not scanning this bit at all is indeed the best option.  Thanks for sending the sample.