News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Move Raw VS Files

Started by dweinberg, December 14, 2019, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweinberg

After ripping albums, I store the raw files in a folder on my Synology NAS (the finished product is stored on the NAS in the music folder). My NAS drive crashed the other day. I have backups on USB drives as recent as three weeks ago.

I am now attempting to drag and drop all recent files since the last backup to a separate USB drive. In order to move the raw VS files, would I simply drag and drop from my source to my destination or are there other methods to preserve my recent raw files? Please see attached.

Thanks.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi,

No, don't do that.  VinylStudio keeps track of where the files are and will mis-behave of you move them around.

Instead, you will find an option to move or copy albums between collections under the More button in the Batch window.  Please note that you need VinylStudio Pro to use this if you purchased after 1st November 2018.

dweinberg

I'm taking a different approach now. I am moving my raw files from my NAS to a USB drive (a variety of reasons have driven this decision). I created a new collection on the USB drive (VS_USB.mcf), but I am unable to select it as the destination in order to batch move my raw files. I see the destination mcf, can place the mouse pointer on top of it, but I am unable to select it. Why is that?

Thanks.

This works for me - I can just click on the MCF file and then click Open.  It's not clear to me from your screenshot exactly what you are doing.

dweinberg

I have been successful (many times now) moving the files from my Mac to my NAS. What I'm trying to do now is move the files from the NAS to a USB drive that is connected to the Mac.

I will delete the newly created collection and start over, and will try to get better screen shots if I run into a jam.

OK, but it should work just the same.  I tried the same setup as you - creating a new collection in the root folder of a USB stick - and it all worked fine (see screenshot I posted), so I don't know what's different in your case.

Just to say, you need to click on the .mcf file, not the folder, but I'm sure you know that.

dweinberg

Just tried it again with a newly created collection on the USB drive. I got the same results.
I created a screen recording and will send that via email (too large to attach here).

Yes, I got it, thank you.  I am at a loss to explain this.  Could you tell me please:

- what version of macOS you are running

- whether you bought from the App Store or direct from us (it makes a difference)

I will then investigate.  Thanks.

dweinberg

I have High Sierra (it's an old Mac). I bought VinylStudio directly from you.

OK, I'll do some checking and get back to you.

Well, I tested this on High Sierra and can't find a problem.

What do you see when you click on the Options button?  Try selecting 'Music Collection Files' from the dropdown.

dweinberg

Where would I find that options button? I couldn't find it as it relates to this issue.

It's at the bottom-left of the window where VinylStudio is prompting you for the target collection. (It's shown in your screenshot).

dweinberg

I was able to go to Options but 'Music Collection Files' was the only option in the dropdown list. However, I couldn't click it. After doing so, I was able to select the *.mcf. So that is the good news. I began moving my collection from my NAS to the USB drive. After VS reported that it would take ~13 hours via ethernet, I aborted figuring that I would do that during the overnight.

However, before aborting, and on my first run, my raw files A-Ba were not on the list. Part of that may be captured in the screen recording that I will send to you by email (I do have backups, so if they are gone I can get them back).

OK, I will respond by email since that's where the screenshots are.