News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

just saying thanks

Started by sep, June 19, 2010, 10:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sep

I've just started using VinylStudio (windows) in the past couple of weeks. About 5 years ago, i started looking at options to record about 750 albums that i and my ex-husband have been lugging around. I am NOT an audio techie, but comfortable with computers. I bought a USB turntable. The first couple of software packages that i "test-drove" worked well, but were tedious, complicated and time-consuming. So i obviously didn't go very far. Earlier this year, I started looking again for software, test-drove several more, and finally settled on VinylStudio. Because these albums are in horrible condition, I also bought an inexpensive "spin-clean" record cleaner.

So far, this has been a great project -- for my son!! After seeing how easy it was, and tired of him begging me for an X-box 360, i offered him $1 an album side to clean, record, download art and track names, and split the files into tracks. He's 13, ADD, loves music, and is almost as anal, organized and detail-oriented as I am. I knew i could trust him to do it right. I already owe him almost $100. Great way to spend the hot summer days in Texas. Later in the evening when it's slightly cooler, he's tired of it and dying to do something physical, so he can go play baseball, etc.

I plan to listen to the recordings and learn how to clean up the audio, cut out scratches etc. Then I can show him, and he'll be off and running with that. He's already been trained to leave in the sound of the needle dropping/lifting! Must have that "comfort" sound. I don't mind most of the clicks, etc., as i'm not a pure music/audio person. And, to me, they give the song authenticity and invoke fond memories, etc. I work in the video dept of a huge technology company, so i know people who ARE pure audio/music techies...and i know that i just don't hear/see things to the detail they do. But, they have listened to a couple of our recordings and have given their approval!

When he's finished with mine, several friends and relatives are really interested, so he may have a new "job" to earn college money. Plus, i can then pick my favorite album covers and albums to frame and display--and give them all to my ex-husband so he can continue to move them around for years.

My only request, which is really minor, would be a way to print the file names, album names and track names -- before i convert them to .mp3. So while i'm working on my computer, i could listen to the tracks and highlight the ones i need to go back and repair.

Thanks again.

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Well that's very nice, thanks very much.  I'm glad the software is giving you good service.

We do have printing a collection on our todo list but I'm not sure when that will happen.  There is a slightly roundabout way to print the track listing for an album though:

1.  Go to the Burn CD's tab.

2.  Drag the album of interest across to the right-hand pane.

3.  Click on the 'Export track listing' button and send it to the clipboard.

4.  Paste the contents of the clipboard into something like Notepad (or Word).

5.  Now you can print it.

6.  If you want to print another album, clear the list of tracks to burn and repeat from step 2.  You can drag several albums across at once but then VinylStudio won't print the album names.

HTH.