News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Removing record warp 'noise'

Started by NeilP, May 13, 2010, 04:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilP

At least I think this is what this is...maybe a pressing fault or a mark or line across the record, but what ever it is, it s a consistent audible waver in the sound and waveform across the record, once every rotation.

is there any way to remove this?  Not at present with the current noise reduction...or any other software i have got, but here is a request for something.

here are the wave forms below

NeilP

It wont post more than one at a time even after reducing image size, so one per post

NeilP

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

An audio sample would be more useful.  Can you email me one saved in MP3 format VBR 0 please?  I will then take a look.  Does it affect the entire recording?

NeilP

OK, will do

Yes across all recording, both sides, so must be album warp or pressing and the timing seems pretty much exact across the album. 20 cycles of the wave form distortion at the beginning of the recording Image 3 above 35.74 seconds and or image one, half way across the second side of the album 20 cycles35.806 seconds, which both seem to correspond to 33 1/3

E-mail on its way

OK, got the sample, thank you.  Yes, I think it's a pressing fault.  I don't think any kind of physical damage would cause this.  VinylStudio's rumble filter is pretty good at taking this out.  The original and cleaned up versions are here:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/private/neil_paisnel_original.mp3
http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/private/neil_paisnel_cleaned.mp3

And here are some before and after screenshots from VinylStudio's waveform display:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/private/neil_paisnel_original.png
http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/private/neil_paisnel_cleaned.png

Note that I also used the declicker and applied the hiss filter, both at default settings, as there is quite a lot of surface noise on this record.

NeilP

Well that is dramatic.

Yes it is a very noisy record, even after it has been cleaned.  I do not have a proper cleaning machine which is a shame, but a lot of this surface noise is scratches from the album being put in a dirty sleeve...One of the girlfriends albums...all of mine are in Nagora antistatic sleeves inside the paper ones.

I tried the rumble filter, but did not get the results you show there..I'll have to have another look..  maybe be I did not "apply' it or OK, or whatever.  Will have another look

Sorry, I meant to say that because they are applied 'on the fly', the effects of VinylStudio's filters don't show up in the waveform display.  If you want to see what effect they're having, save a copy (which you don't need to keep, once you have examined it).

A friend of mine swears by swabbing dirty records with a dilute solution of washing up liquid, then rinse and drip-dry (keeping the water away from the label).  He did demonstrate this to me and it did seem to help.  Not a bad result though, eh? :)

NeilP

Well I use a similar method, using some felt pads and a mix of water (de-ionised) isopropyl alcohol and a non foaming detergent...(cant remember what it was but came from a hospital), then a rinse with the de ionised water.
Next thing will be to make a suction device to suck the water and muck out the grooves...similar to the Pro washing machines

NeilP

When you used the De hiss filter, did you use the rumble filter first, save As and then pre define an area on the ne file for the de hiss?  or just take the de hiss pre defined area from the same area as the 'rumbles' are showing?

The latter - you can do it all in one hit, that's the whole idea.  VinylStudio applies the filters in a pre-defined order:

Declick
   Rumble and / or hum filters
   Hiss filter
   Graphic equaliser

This is done because clicks upset the other filters and it's more effective (in that it does less damage to the original sound) to remove hum and rumble before the hiss filter sees the audio.

But you can do things in whatever order you like.  If you scan for clicks after you have enabled, say, the hiss filter that works fine because the next time you save your tracks VinylStudio will apply the filters in what we have deemed to be the optimum sequence.  In other words, forget everything you know about the way you would do all this in a conventional audio editor.  Nothing is 'saved', in the sense you are used to, until you save your tracks or save a copy, and nothing is 'changed', ever (except if you elect to truncate a file).  The original recording is always there, just as it was when you first recorded it.  Everything else is a kind of 'overlay'.

NeilP

OK, grat that makes good sense.

Thanks

I started another thread for another request ;)