News:

Welcome to the AlpineSoft support forum.  To return to the main website, click here: www.alpinesoft.co.uk

Main Menu

Backing up files

Started by JCook, April 15, 2010, 01:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCook

I'm using Vinyl Studio 7.1 on Mac OS X, and I've recorded a number of LPs. Now I'd like to back them up by putting the files on a DVD data written disk so that I can get them off my hard drive and free up some space. But I want to be able to open them in VinylStudio again in the future in case I need to make another copy of a CD. My question is, what files do I need to back up in order to be able to open them again. There is a folder which has files with extensions .wav and .crd in it, and outside the folder is a file that is .mcf, and a backup of that file (.mcf.bak). If I put all of these on the DVD, will I be able to open them again in VinylStudio later on?

thanks,
Jack

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

Hi Jack,

There's a section in the help file entitled 'Where are my files located' which covers this:

http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/helpfile/where_are_my_files.htm

Essentially, back up your .wav and .crd files and then delete the recordings (but not the albums) in VinylStudio.  Keep your .mcf file on line - it is very small and contains a record of all the albums you have ever recorded.

If you want to come back to an album, copy the relevant files back to where they originally came from and then VinylStudio will pick them up automatically (you might need to restart it first).

JCook

Thank you, Paul, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

Jack

Paul Sanders (AlpineSoft)

OK, good.  It might be worth experimenting on an album you don't much care about (or have created expressly for the purpose) first.

JCook

OK, I tried your instructions, and it seems to work perfectly. Thanks again.

Jack